Friday, March 19, 2010

Find your passion with light bulb moments

(originally posted in 2007)

Do you know what a light bulb moment is? For me, light bulb moments are ‘AH HA’ moments in life. These are moments when that light goes on in your head and you say to yourself “Wow, that makes a lot of sense”.

Journal your light bulb moments

Light bulb moments happen all the time. For some, many times in a day. As a result, light bulb moments also come and go. Because we can’t remember everything, it is so important to write down great ideas and great moments when they happen. I call this journaling. In fact, I have journalled my light bulb moments all my adult life. If these are important moments in my life where the lights come on, I make sure I write them down. I carry around my journal everywhere I go.

I think it is so important you keep your light bulb moments in the same place. Often I see people writing notes using the pads or pieces of scrap paper but 9 times out of 10, they get lost and all those light bulb moments get lost with them. Never lose your light bulb moments.

Unless you have a system to diarize and keep your light bulb moments, you won’t be able to remember, recover or respond to these special times. That’s why journaling is so important.

Use light bulb moments to find your passion

How do light bulb moments relate to passion? Some light bulb moments are really bright. Some light bulb moments touch the heart. Some light bulb moments are really special. Some light bulb moments make you come alive. I believe these light bulb moments form the foundation for passion.

People with passion set themselves apart. You can usually tell in the first 5 minutes of a conversation if someone has passion for what they do. If you find your passions, life is great! If you have not found your passions, keep journaling your light bulb moments. You will find it!

My suggestion is to go through your journals from time to time. You will be amazed at what you find. I have done this many times in my life and you will find recurring patterns that help you see things and ideas that you are naturally drawn to.

Great things can happen with these light bulb moments. For example, in 1998, I was reviewing some of my old notes and came across a lightbulb moment that I should write a book. The note said we all have a story to tell, we all have a book in us, just start writing. Because of that note, I published my first book Mutual Fundamentals which became a best seller. This was the start of discovering my passion to write and educate others which I continue today.

Why is it important to have passion?

One of my favorite stories about passion involves Barbara Streisand at the Golden Globe Awards. A gentleman asked Streisand if he should be an actor. Barbara Streisand responded “If you have to ask the question, then the answer is no. You know you have passion when you don’t have to ask.”

The bottom line is passion fuels the soul. Passion creates purpose and meaning. Passion makes time go by faster. People with passion have the sparkle in their eyes and seem to not only control their destiny but do it effortlessly. Passion helps create vision. It’s no wonder people with passion have a clearer vision of the future. The clearer you see the future, the more likely you are to achieve it. Passion not only helps with vision but it helps design plans to make things happen.

At the end of the day, I think passion is like love. You know you found it once you find it. Until you find it, you really don’t know what it feels like to have real passion. Once you find passion, you hate to lose it.

For me, had a passion for personal finance. I loved learning about it. I still love it. I still learn each and every day. For those who know me, they knew I had a passion for my business and a passion to help others. Unfortunately for me, I eventually stopped enjoying my business. As a typical entrepreneur, I enjoyed my business when it was small and growing. Once it got too big, the scope of my work began to change and I lost my passion. Eventually, losing my passion for the work, was the catalyst to selling the business. One way you know you have passion, is when you lose it, you can’t help but do something about it. For me, my passion changed and happiness overruled cashflow. It is scary to sell off a secure cashflow but I can tell you this has been an amazing year. I wake up with my kids. We have breakfast every morning. I don’t miss their gymnastics, skating, swimming, etc. I’m proud and passionate about being a dad.

1 comment: