Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The terrible twos

Jason, my third child is one of the cutest kids on earth.  I know I am biased but I have had some seriously cute kids (obviously from Liz's genes).  That being said, Jason was and is really really really cute!

But lately, his cuteness has been overshadowed by his whining, crying and temper tantrums.  We just came back from Canmore for a few days with another family and I'm sure they will never invite us again . . . or at least Jason.  These are tough times for a parent and every time he goes through his tantrums, I go through this same speech:

"Jason, remember good boys don't act this way.  What do good boys do?"

Jason knows the words - "They listen, they share, they use their words and they be nice to others."

Unfortunately knowing the words and living by them are two different things right now.

Anyhow, I know that Jason is only two and he will grow through it.  All of my kids have gone through some tough stages and as a parent, I know that I just have to keep supporting him, teaching him and sometimes showing him the consequences of bad behavior.  Did your kids go through the terrible twos?  Did they grow out of it?  How did you deal with it?  What advice would you give to other parents on how to deal with the terrible twos?

Despite his tantrums, I still would not trade him in for anything.  For every tantrum, there are 10 moments where he makes me laugh or smile.  For every tantrum, there is a special moment of love where we bond as a father and son.  For every tough moment, there reasons to be thankful.  Ok my therapy is over!!!

1 comment:

  1. The terrible twos, the second time around, just make me laugh (for the most part - except for when they make me yell). Could it be that my second is less emotionally labile? (yes) Could it be that my second is more patient? (yes) Could it be that my second is more empathic? (yes) Could it be that his older sibling teaches him about the world on a peer level rather than on an adult one, leading to less frustration? (yes) Could it be that we've learned a thing or two as parents the first time around? (I am proud to say YES!)

    ReplyDelete